Power Cycle the Modem
Sometimes it is necessary to shut down your cable modem connection completely when something isn't functioning properly. This is similar to restarting your computer. To power cycle your cable modem and restore connectivity, follow the directions below for your operating system.
Basic Troubleshooting: Modem Connectivity
- Make sure the fiber or coaxial cable is plugged securely into the modem and the wall outlet (a loose connection could result in lost block sync or slow connectivity)
- Unplug the modem from the power source.
- Leave the modem unplugged for two minutes.
- Shut down the computer and turn it off.
- Plug the modem directly into the wall outlet.
- Wait up to approximately five minutes for the modem to regain sync (it usually takes less than two minutes and for many people, it takes less than one minute to gain sync).
- Check the lights on your modem to ensure the Internet lights are steady.
- If the lights are illuminated, try visiting various Web sites.